Like residents everywhere, seniors in the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area prefer to remain in their home as they grow older. When planning for aging-in-place in your Lehigh Valley home, there are several home solutions you can consider to promote comfort, safety, and independence for older adults. Here are some of the best home solutions for aging-in-place in the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton area.
- Single-Floor Living A single-story home or multi-level home having essential living spaces (bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, laundry room) on the main floor eliminates the need to navigate stairs regularly, reducing the risk of falls and making daily activities more accessible. Power Stair Lifts offers a complete line of stair lifts and elevators should the need arise.
- Wide Doorways and Hallways Designing wider doorways and hallways allows for easy maneuverability, accommodating mobility aids like wheelchairs, walkers, and canes. Aim for a minimum doorway width of 36 inches and wider hallways to ensure smooth passage throughout the home.
- Zero-Step Entries Minimize or eliminate steps at entryways by incorporating zero-step entrances. This design feature enables easy access for individuals with mobility limitations, including wheelchairs and mobility devices. If you need a ramp to help you over a threshold or steps, see our Ramp Solutions that come in durable modular, portable, and threshold versions.
- Lever-Style Door Handles Replace traditional doorknobs with lever-style handles. Lever handles are easier to operate for individuals with limited grip strength or dexterity, because they require less manual effort and twisting motion.
- Non-Slip Flooring Install slip-resistant flooring materials, such as textured tiles or non-slip vinyl, in areas prone to moisture, such as bathrooms and kitchens. This helps reduce the risk of slips and falls.
- Bathroom Accessibility Consider incorporating features like grab bars near the toilet and in the shower or bathtub area to provide stability and support. Installing a curbless or roll-in shower with a handheld showerhead and a built-in shower seat can enhance accessibility and safety.
- Ample Lighting Ensure that all areas of the home, including hallways, staircases, and entrances, are well-lit to prevent accidents and promote visibility. Install task lighting in work areas like the kitchen or home office for better visibility during specific activities.
- Open Floor Plans Open floor plans allow for better movement within the home, reducing obstacles and facilitating social interaction. This design feature enhances accessibility and accommodates mobility aids.
- User-Friendly Kitchen Design the kitchen with accessibility in mind. Consider installing adjustable or varied-height countertops, pull-out shelves, and easy-to-reach storage to minimize bending and reaching. Installing lever-style or touchless faucets can also make tasks easier.
- Smart Home Technology Incorporate smart home features such as voice-activated assistants, automated lighting, temperature controls, and home security systems. These technologies can provide convenience and enhance safety for aging adults.
- Emergency Alert Systems Install an emergency alert system that can be easily accessed in case of emergencies. These systems typically include wearable devices or wall-mounted buttons that can summon help in case of a fall or other emergency.
It’s important to note that the specific home features needed for aging-in-place may vary based on individual needs, preferences, and health conditions. Consulting with local Lehigh Valley professionals in aging-in-place design or occupational therapists can provide valuable insights and recommendations tailored to specific circumstances.
If you live in Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, Macungie, Schnecksville, Whitehall, Coopersburg, Quakertown, Kutztown, Northampton, Emmaus, Catasauqua, Nazareth, or other Lehigh Valley locations, call Power Stair Lifts for a free in-home estimate. We are independently owned and operated, not a franchise, and our mission is to serve our neighbors and community. Click through our site and web pages at powerstairlifts.com or call 484-895-1188 to schedule your free home assessment and estimate.
For information about Power Stair Lifts’ other products, please click the following links:
Straight stair lifts: https://powerstairlifts.com/straight-stair-lift-home-lv-power-stair-lifts/
Curved stair lifts: https://powerstairlifts.com/curved-stair-lifts-residential-lehigh-valley/
Vertical platform lifts: https://powerstairlifts.com/vertical-platform-lift-lehigh-valley/
Installation of used stair lifts: https://powerstairlifts.com/used-stair-lifts-lehigh-valley/
Rental of stair lifts: https://powerstairlifts.com/rental-stair-lifts-lehigh-valley-home/
Stair lift maintenance, repair, and service: https://powerstairlifts.com/stair-lift-repair-lehigh-valley/
Stair lift financing in Pennsylvania: https://powerstairlifts.com/financing-stair-lifts-for-pennsylvanians/
Stair lift buyback program: https://powerstairlifts.com/used-stair-lift-buyback-program-lehigh-valley/
Stair lift parts replacement: https://powerstairlifts.com/parts-replacement/